The UPP software package is provided to the community for the use of post-processing model output. At this time community support is available only for the WRF-ARW and FV3GFS.
The UPP software package:
- can be used to post-process WRF-ARW and FV3GFS forecasts.
- can ingest WRF history files (wrfout*) in netCDF format.
- can ingest FV3GFS history files (dyn*/phys* or gfs*) in binarynemsiompiio and netcdf format.
- is compatible with WRFv3.7 and higher for Ferrier physics (UPPv3.0+).
The UPP software package consists of:
- Interpolates the forecasts from the model's native vertical coordinate to NWS standard output levels (e.g. pressure, height) and computes mean sea level pressure. If the requested parameter is on a model's native level, then no vertical interpolation is performed.
- Computes diagnostic output quantities (e.g. convective available potential energy, helicity, relative humidity).
- Outputs the results in NWS and WMO standard GRIB1 or GRIB2 format.
- Destaggers the WRF-ARW forecasts from a C-grid to an A-grid.