Community code is a free and shared resource with distributed development and centralized support. Ongoing development of community codes is maintained under version control. Periodic releases, which include the latest in developments of new capabilities and techniques, are made available to the user community. The following community codes are available to the community:
- Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) – includes NWP model + pre- and post-processors (in collaboration with NCAR/MMM and NCEP/EMC)
- Hurricane WRF (coupled atmosphere, ocean and wave system)
- Unified Post Processor (UPP) – Post-processor package for WRF and NEMS/NMMB
- Model Evaluation Tools (MET) – Verification package
- Gridpoint Statistical Interpolation (GSI) – Data Assimilation
- Ensemble Kalman Filter (EnKF) – Data Assimilation
- Common Community Physics Package (CCPP)/Single-Column Model (SCM) – Global Model Test Bed
Ensuring software integrity and pursuing system evolution
It is important to ensure the integrity of the software components prior to each official release of the code to the user community. The DTC performs a broad range of pre-release testing for community codes in order to make certain previously available capabilities are still viable options in the latest version of the code. Bugs that are discovered, either during internal DTC testing or through user inquiries, are investigated and resolutions proposed and checked into the code repository to guarantee the fix is available in the next release of the code.
The DTC also strives for system evolution, in particular through increased interoperability of existing system components, as well as adding new capabilities or techniques for future code releases.
The DTC provides user support for the WRF system (model, pre- and post-processors) in collaboration with NCAR/MMM, as well as for the MET verification package. The types of support provided are wide-ranging and include:
- Maintaining User webpage's for each software package
- Direct email correspondence with the user community
- Online tutorials
- Resident tutorials