GSI v3.7: qv_max_inc

Submitted by burjunburjun on Tue, 04/06/2021 - 07:05

Hi all,

I am using GSI v3.7 to assimilate radar reflectivity and do cloud analysis. I noticed that src/gsdcloudanalysis.F90 calls the subroutine cloud_saturation which is defined in libsrc/GSD/gsdcloud/cloud_saturation.f90; however, the variable qv_max_inc is not given a value when called or defined. What is the default value for it? Since in v3.6 a limitation of 0.005 kg/kg was defined for the increment, could qv_max_inc be 0.005 in v3.7?

Bojun Zhu

01.png , 02.png , 03.png

Hi Bojun,

In the most recent GSI code on github, in the call to cloud_saturation from src/gsdcloudanalysis.f90 the passing of qv_max_inc has been added, and additionally the value is by default initialized in init_rapidrefresh_cldsurf with:

qv_max_inc   = 0.005_r_kind                       ! maximum water vapor increment in kg/kg

I'm not certain why it is not passed in GSI v3.7 but I can ask around if needed.

Thanks,

Will

In reply to by wmayfield

Hi Will,

Thanks for your reply! I have given a value of qv_max_inc=0.005 by myself. The GSI compiling and cloud analysis process seemed to succeed, but I will be more glad to hear their reply if you don't mind asking around.

Many thanks!

Bojun

Hi Bojun, 

I'm glad that your settings were successful. I asked around and it seems this feature was simply not well supported in community GSI versions at the time of v3.7. But, I believe you have achieved the correct modifications to bring this increment limit into line with recent code.

Thanks,

Will

Attach Files