Assimilating AIRS-AQUA with GSI v3.7

Submitted by mzheng on Mon, 04/05/2021 - 00:46

Dear GSI help, 

I recently updated from GSI v3.6 to GSI v3.7 for data assimilation with a regional WRF model implementation and did some tests with 3dvar. Unfortunately, my old scripts that used to work for assimilating radiance data are not functioning well with v3.7. Specifically, I am not able to assimilate the AIRS-AQUA infrared radiance. I am listing the key setting below. Could you please point to me what went wrong in my set-up?

Script for running 3dvar: 

srcobsfile[7]=${OBS_ROOT}/gdas.t${HH}z.airsev.tm00.bufr_d (NOTE: this is the test gdas airsev buff data) 

gsiobsfile[7]=airsbufr

# NOTE: I noticed the CRTM SpcCoeff.bin and TauCoeff.bin file names have changed, so I linked these two files to different names.

ln -sf ${CRTM_ROOT_ORDER}/airs281_aqua.SpcCoeff.bin ./airs_aqua.SpcCoeff.bin

ln -s f ${CRTM_ROOT_ORDER}/airs281_aqua.TauCoeff.bin ./airs_aqua.TauCoeff.bin

ln -sf ${CRTM_ROOT_ORDER}/airs281_aqua.SpcCoeff.bin ./airs281SUBSET_aqua.SpcCoeff.bin

ln -sf ${CRTM_ROOT_ORDER}/airs281_aqua.TauCoeff.bin ./airs281SUBSET_aqua.TauCoeff.bin

ln -sf ${CRTM_ROOT_ORDER}/airs281_aqua.SpcCoeff.bin ./airs281_aqua.SpcCoeff.bin

ln -sf ${CRTM_ROOT_ORDER}/airs281_aqua.TauCoeff.bin ./airs281_aqua.TauCoeff.bin

Namelist: 

airsbufr       airs        aqua      airs281SUBSET_aqua  20.0     2     0

airsbufr       airs        aqua      airs281_aqua        20.0     2     0

airsbufr       airs        aqua      airs_aqua           20.0     2     0

Satinfo was based on the fix file: Global_satinfo.txt

Thank you so much in advance for your time.

GSIv3.7 is known to have a bug in assimilating infrared radiance. You can check the lastest GSI code at Github to find what should be changed to make it work.

In reply to by guoqing.ge

Hi Guoqing,  thank you so much for your reply. For my specific application, I found out that my AIRS bufr file was damaged. I tried another date and it worked. Hopefully, this following tip might help other users as well: if one data type cannot be assimilated, better check the data first. Will compare the infrared radiance assimilation from Github with my current version as well. 

Regards,

Minghua