Welcome to the HWRF V3.9a Online Tutorial
- This tutorial has been designed for use with HWRF V3.9a released in October 2017. It corresponds to the 2017 operational configuration.
- It describes step-by-step how to compile, configure, and run HWRF. A case of Hurricane Matthew (2016), initialized on October 4, 2016, 00 UTC, is used in this online tutorial.
- A description of what's new for HWRF V3.9a can be found in the release notes.
Thanks for the support!
This tutorial practical session was prepared by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Global Systems Division (GSD) with funding from NOAA. We thank the registered HWRF users for the feedback and ideas they provided. Thanks also go to the staff of the Developmental Testbed Center (DTC) for their help, advice, and many types of support.
Using the HWRF Online Tutorial
Throughout this tutorial, the following conventions are used:
- Bold font is used for directory and file names and occasionally to simply indicate emphasis.
- Bold and italic font highlighted in blue is used for text to be typed on the command line.
Start the HWRF Online Tutorial
Throughout this tutorial, you will have to type several commands on the command line and edit settings in several files. Those commands are displayed in this tutorial in such a way that it is easy to copy and paste them directly from the webpage. You are encouraged to do so to avoid typing mistakes and speed your progress through the tutorial.